HOWTO create and run a linux developer virtual machine on your non-linux laptop.
- Install VMware Workstation Player for Windows 64-bit Operating Systems
- Download Ubuntu Desktop iso
- Open VMware Workstation Player and create a new Virtual Machine
- In the dialogue, choose “I will install the operating system later”:
- Choose “Linux” Version Ubuntu 64-bit
- Give it a suitable name and Location should be on your computer, preferably a SSD. Do NOT install on network-drive.
- Maximum disk size should be set to e.g. 100GB, single file is OK.
- Review your settings and press Finish.
- Select your new virtual machine, and press “Edit virtual machine settings”.
- Under Hardware, choose
- CD/DVD (SATA), choose “Use ISO image file:” and point to the location on your disc with the iso image from step 2.
- Memory: > 8GB
- Processors: 4 cores. Check the box for “Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI”
- Press OK.
- Select your new virtual machine, and press “Play virtual machine”. Installation of os will start.
- Follow instructions. They should be self explained.
- Choose “Norsk bokmål” and press “Installer Ubuntu”
- After successful installation of os, your virtual machine will reboot. Make sure the ISO image file is removed from the settings.